All the bits you don't see.

Chassis and Oily Bits

 

 

Starting with a chassis to take Ford parts, including crossflow engine, I fitted a rear axle from a Mk1 Escort Sport and welded on C clamps for 4 links and a panhard rod.

Springs were from a Vitesse 2 litre over Triumph Herald shockers

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

These springs were later changed for softer Dolomites but had to replaced by Spitfire 1500s when the suspension 'bottomed' with a passenger.

At te front,the Mk5 Cortine wishbones were swapped side to side, the tie bar changing from trailing to compression. Standard road springs were shortened 'to suit' to coin a phrase.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The steering rack from an Escort was lengthened to suit the wider track while a Sierra column was lengthened ( a lot ) and fitted with two universal joints and a bush mid way.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As I had spotted a Sierra in a scrapyard and was able to hear it running, the temptation was too great and I had to buy it! This brought problems fitting it onto the chassis. In the end, I made up new brackets and welded them seven inches further back in the chassis. Of course then, the chassis had to be radically altered 'to suit'.

I made a solid propshaft out of two jointed ones.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Moving the engine rearward created another problem which didn't occur to me until the time came to connect instruments. The speedometer drive is now exactly over the chassis cross-member and too close to avoid a tight bend in the cable. Solution: fit a right-angle drive! Problem number two: because of the proximity of the cross-member, the drive has to face the rear of the car. Solution: fit an eight foot speedo. cable!

Just so I have it written down, the clutch cable that I have found to be most suitable is;CC1148 Equiv: MCC1241

 

If you want to follow the build in sequence the click here ,
OR to skip to the SVA page click SVA